Lloyd Sumpter

Default HELP!! I need help with a noisy and whiny Mercruiser outdrive

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 01:35:34 +0000, D. wrote:

A friend of mine just bought a 1989 18 feet Stingray bowrider with a 3.0 liter
inboard/outboard Mercruiser engine and corresponding Mercruiser outdrive.

The engine starts and runs great and is quiet. My question is this. When the
boat is in neutral or at operating speed, the outdrive is noisy and seems to
whine whether at idle or when running in any gear. You can lay in the bottom of
the boat and really hear it well.

Since you have the manuals, I assume you know the upper unit of the outdrive
is spinning even in neutral (I didn't know this when this happened to me). I had
a whiney outdrive, and it turned out it was the gears in the upper outdrive.
Another culprit could be the universal joint, also in the upper outdrive.

Lloyd Sumpter
(previously) "Valkyrie" Campion 18