Matt Lang

Default Need help with Mercury 1250 I6

jchaplain wrote in message . ..
- If the rotor is really so expensive, is there another that fits?
Automotive?

Maybe, but don't worry about replacing the rotor now if it's running
well.

yes thats what I thought.... the day of replacemrnt will come though
.... most lilely when its the worst time so i want to be prepared..

- What gas/oil mixture does this motor run?

You ran it already without knowing? - Be sure to find out and use the
right mixture before running it again or you'll destroy it.
And don't run it without muffs to get water to the engine or you'll
overheat it for sure.

I run it with 1:50 from my 25 Merc ... I kinda dont think it would
need more oil but just idling it for a minute should be fine i think
.... when it comes to running the boat I want to make sure the rigth
stuff is in there...

Unfortunately the local merc dealers dont get exited at all about
giving info on old OB's or even touching them

- What kind of oil should I put in the gearcase?

90 weight gear oil...any marine dealer or auto parts store.

cool, thats what I thought

- How do I check the waterpump (or impeller)?

Get a manual and replace it. It will need it.

Getting a manual will be a problem ... I found info on the web saying
this motor was sold 1969 ... although I find it hard to believe that
it would still be in good shape if its that old ...

If I look at the impeller and it looks good, can it stay or are these
parts that should be replaced anyways?

- What compression should this motor have?

Don't worry about the compression if it runs good.

well... so far it just starts and idles ... I have no idea if it puts
out power, although with bad compression it should have a hard time
starting...

- Is this motor really garbage? Ok it has no power trim/tilt .. but
aside from that?

Not if it runs good.

Thats what i though ... I got boat, trailer and OB for USD 1000 ... if
it runs one season its a fair deal.

- how does one decarbonize OB motors?

Don't worry about it if it runs good. Why would you think it needs to
be decarbonized?

Dunno ... I have no expeirence with 2 strokes ... I thought they
should be decarbonized every season or so ... I dont know if that one
was decarbed last time or ever ... can you check if it needs getting
decarbed ?

Thanks for your replies

Matt