Jeff

Default Interesting factoid about Group 31 batteries

DSK wrote:

Jeff wrote:

I've used AGM's for my starting batteries. The self discharge is very
low, and the cost isn't that high.

I haven't found AGMs for less than about twice the price of
'dual-purpose' Gr-31s, which are about $60 at the farm-n-truck supply.

I found Optima's at an auto shop (PEP? Autozone?) for about $100.
We'll find out in about 3 years if they do better than the el cheapo's
they replaced.

OTOH I'm surprised Glenn isn't buying Surrette batteries for his boat.

I was in my marina office asking if they could match they price I had
for 4 Trojan 105 6 Volts ($280 from a golf cart company). They could
come close using AC Delco, but not Trojan. Just then, the Surrette
distributor walked in and started explaining to me that while Trojan's
were very good, they weren't the same as Surrette's. Since the
Surrette's cost about $800 for the set, I figured that paying a third
for a bank that's almost as good was a deal. The previous Trojans had
lasted 6 hard seasons, so I didn't think Surrettes would be much
better. OTOH, the Surrettes that came with my previous boat lasted 12
years, so it might be a tossup.