Glenn Ashmore

Default Interesting factoid about Group 31 batteries

It is not all Group 31 batteries. Just the high capacity 925 CCA type.

Here is the service bulletin they got from their chassis supplier:
http://www.internationaldelivers.com...pdf/dyk128.pdf

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"johnhh" wrote in message
Someone help me out here. I always thought that the Group number just
specified the size/shape of the battery. Why would thhe size or capcity
affect its ability to hold a charge? Are you talking about a specific
manufacturer's battery? I can see how one manufactures group 31 my not,
but Group 31's in general?

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
I was talking to an engineer with a local school bus manufacturer
yesterday about Rutu's progress. I mentioned that I was leaning towards a
high capacity Group 31 battery to use for the starter bank. More than the
4JH4 needs but would give me a lot of reserve. He replied that was a bad
idea on a sailboat. Seems that they no longer equip their school busses
with 925 CCA Group 31's because they have a very high self discharge rate.
They are great for regular highway use but school busses like sailboats
spend a lot of time with the engine off. The 620 to 700 CCA batteries
hold their charge much better and will last a lot longer in that type
service.

Just another tidbit to store away for future use.