Default (non-political) comments on fuel economy and technology

Reggie Smithers wrote:

Chuck,
Your cost analysis of hybrid vs non hybrid shows why the start to lower
oil consumption is to increase the cost of fuel. Very few people will
make the choice to pay more for the greater good of society. As long as
it cost more to operate a hybrid it will not be the preferred choice
for the majority.

--
Reggie
That's my story and I am sticking to it.

It probably costs less to actually operate a hybrid, up to the point
where the battery eventually needs to be replaced. Most of the systems
seem to have 100k mile warranties on all the hybrid stuff. The bump in
the road is the acquisition cost. The hybrids we have looked at cost
about $7,000 more than their gasoline counterparts. Factor in that the
hyhbrids are in short supply and *nobody* is willing to come off
MSRP.....(they simply look over your head to the lineup in the showroom
and holler "Next!" when you want to discuss a discount- let alone
invoice)... and the typical difference is probably closer to $9000.

Nobody is buying hybrids to save money. I think it would take 150,000
miles of in-city driving to break even. I guess you buy a hybrid for
the same reason you sort the recyclables from your trash or step up for
a 4 stroke outboard when a 2 stroke is cheaper.
Some things get done because they are considered by some at least to be
the right thing, not the cheapest thing.

Artificially making oil more expensive in order to drive people to
alternative resources isn't always good policy. Like so many ideas, it
would impact most those in society who have the fewest resources and
choices. If a guy pushing a broom around WalMart buys as many gallons
of gas as I do every month, it is certainly taking a bigger percentage
of his monthly income to do so than it takes from mine. (maybe just
barely). The WalMart broom jockey *has to* buy gas to get to work in
most locations, it isn't a luxury, and he isn't in the financial
position to acquire cutting edge, more economical options.