Reggie Smithers

Default (non-political) comments on fuel economy and technology

Harry Krause wrote:
Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:
On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 23:33:53 -0500, wrote:

On 31 Jan 2006 10:48:48 -0800,
wrote:

In the meantime, we can keep our boats tuned up and maintained, select
and install the correct propellers, haul off unused items to reduce
excess weight, install fuel flow meters to seek the most efficient
cruising speeds, keep the bottom clean, and pay some attention to
currents when planning a cruise.
The biggest thing I have done to save fuel is to SLOW DOWN.
My new motor was 10HP smaller than my old one, EFI 4 stroke vs 90's
technology 2 stroke. I seldom ever get over 3400 RPM and I spend most
of my time around 1100 (legally "slow" speed)
I usually average about 1 GPH over my normal daily cruise. I simply
found interesting things to do that did not require a lot of
speed.

cruise is a good option for any boat to increase mileage. on my boats,
wot open throttle is only efficient on the carbed 25 johnson on the
princecraft.

The gauge I watch closest is the fuel-flow meter. I surely know what GPH
means in terms of my wallet.

Harry,
Have you figured out what your next ideal boat would have to allow you
sufficient speed at the lowest possible gas consumption? Since we don't
have any hybrid engines, on a boat gas consumption seems directly
correlated to size and weight. My guess is you will see more fisherman
using the smallest boat that will do the job.

--
Reggie
That's my story and I am sticking to it.