Bob

Default Freak waves

Hi Purple:

You say,

"these things are many times the height of the waves around them and
strike suddenly without any warning. they can occur in relative calm,
and they aren't that rare according to the radar study. "

I agree. That is why those very large waves are not rogues. Just
uncommon and most likely predictable. For example, I was sailing south
2 miles off WA coast one summer. Yes, a bit too close for that area.
The weather was typical: NW 15-25K 10'-12' swell, a few breaking. After
checking the weather I also knew there was a bit of a hurricane way
south last week. Humm... might send some big swell our way. Sure enough
as I was having a great time surfing south about every 10 minutes a big
one came out of the SW. No problem until the NW swell happened to get
in sink with the SW swell in a shallow area. Gads! What a view from the
top! In a moment I was sliding down the face of an incredible wave. The
only thing problem, it was three boat lengths to the bottom of the wave
(39' x 3 lengths = 117'). Cool ride to the bottom? Or a freak wave
that nearly killed me? You be the judge.

Yea, I realize that the wave height was not 117' because my slid down
the face was actually the hypotenuse. But still very exciting. So was
that a killer rogue wave out of nowhere that struck suddenly without
any warning? Or just a known possibility the operator considered and
took steps to ameliorate an inevitable event?

Read, watch the ocean, talk to the USCG, read, watch the ocean, talk to
OLD commercial fisherman and enjoy the wonders that nature offers.
There is no such thing as a rogue or sneaker wave.
Bob