Grumman-581

Default SeaDoos

"Calif Bill" wrote ...
Great shot of an emergency turn on a nuke carrier. PBS runs the story

once
in awhile on the carrier Ike, and part of the commisioning test is an
emergency turn at about 35 knots. The boat must be at a 30 degree angle.

After every yard period, a ship has to go through an ORE (Operational
Readiness Evaluation)... The emergency turn is one small part of the ORE...
It didn't seem like it went to 30 degrees though... I don't remember what
the "point of no return" was on the ship... Too many years have passed... I
seem to remember on the destroyers it was around 60 degrees... I knew one
guy who said that they were coming into Norfolk after a cruise and due to
the weather plus being lightly loaded, they were doing 50 degree lists each
way...