Dennis Pogson

Default Largest Singlehanded Sailboat Is What?

BeeRich wrote:
Hi folks.

I've been slowly researching sailboats for my future. I've raced
Lasers in my past, grew up on an Alberg 30 here in Toronto, and wish
to continue my love for boats.

I've been to boat shows, and looked at boat plans online.

Regardless of price, what is the largest sailboat that one can handle
singlehandedly? I'm looking for a rear cockpit sailboat that I could
take anywhere in the world. As well, I don't need it to sleep 40
people, as I'd rather exchange staterooms for storage or other
functionality.

Thanks to a Toronto boat show I'm fond of the Dufour 40 foot range.

http://www.dufouryachts.com

I look forward to your replies.

Cheers

Vendredi Treize was sailed in the Transatlantic Single-Handed Race in 1972.
She was a 3-masted aluminium-hulled monster 128ft LOA. She finished second,
although by far the fastest boat in the race, but she proved too much to
handle.

The Volvo Ocean 60's are sailed in the Vendee Globe, round-the-world
single-handed race. Extreme design with canting keel and water-ballasted
hull. 60 feet LOA.

The present Volvo Ocean Race is being contested by a further development of
the Ocean 60, the Ocean 70, and these yachts have consistently broken the
24-hour world record for distance noon-to-noon, which is reckoned will be
pushing close to 600 n.miles by the time the race ends. These are of course
fully-crewed yachts of extreme design, 70ft long. What's the betting that
some madman will re-equip one for Round-The-World sailing within the next 2
years?

Dennis.