thunder

Default Affording Fuel

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 06:30:20 +0000, Calif Bill wrote:

We have a cure for the energy problem. NUCLEAR POWER PLANTS! But the
enviro's got the building of same, outlawed.

Nuclear is not a cure. It may be part of the solution, but it is not a
cure. With new technologies, such as a Pebble Bed Reactor, safety
concerns have been eliminated or, at least, substantially reduced.
However, there is still nuclear waste to deal with. Burying waste in
Yucca Mountain is, essentially, sweeping it under the carpet. Also,
uranium reserves are finite. 50 years, or so, with present technologies,
but that would be expected to lengthen with more advanced technologies.
Nuclear could provide a solution for our lifetimes, but eventually it to
would end. We need to think in terms of sustainable energy.