Matt Lang

Default Need help with Mercury 1250 I6

Folks,

I bought a boat from an estate sale (so asking the owner is out of the
question). The boat comes with motor. Motor is a Mercury. On the
motor it also says 1250, 125 HP six, Thunderbolt ignition.

The motor is an I6. I wanted to get the motor checked and
decarbonized and whatever else it needs done. The OB motor guy
however wouldnt even touch this motor (like it has the plague) and
said to just throw it away ... So I think, not much to lose and go
ahead and start the thing (wonder if that was a good idea)... It hadnt
run for 2 years but fired up after 30 secs of cranking and sucking gas
through the fuel line.... after that it started instantly every time
.... not bad so far

Now I have a few questions... Hopefully someone can help.

The motor guy said this motor is **** because it has the hanging
ignition, apparently the rotor (he said) costs CAD 400 ... pretty
expensive I must say..

Now:

- If the rotor is really so expensive, is there another that fits?
Automotive?
- What gas/oil mixture does this motor run?
- What kind of oil should I put in the gearcase?
- How do I check the waterpump (or impeller)?
- What compression should this motor have?
- Is this motor really garbage? Ok it has no power trim/tilt .. but
aside from that?
- how does one decarbonize OB motors?
- Is there anyhting else that I should do to this motor before I run
the boat? (aside from new spark plugs maybe) ?

I dont have much experience with boats and boat motors .. so I am a
little helpless right now...

Any advice is appreciated

Matt