posted to rec.boats,alt.autos.ford
trainfan1

Default Affording Fuel

Wayne.B wrote:

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 01:34:02 GMT, Shortwave Sportfishing
wrote:

My truck has over 100k and the town car is approaching 100k - that
little escort i bought to keep the gas milage down is over 100k - 115k
in fact.

100k is nothing nowadays.

That's true if you buy the right vehicle.

Absolutely!

My youngest son is now
driving the Camry that I bought new in 1992. It is at almost 200K
miles and still going strong in NYC traffic and roads.

Rust will consume that car before wear & tear.

My wife's
Honda Accord is over 100K miles and still runs like new.

It'd better. It's not even broken in yet.

On the other hand our 1991 Dodge Caravan had trim falling off of it by
50,000 miles, 3 transmissions, all new brakes and a radiator by
70,000. It was getting too unreliable to keep, and it will be a long
time before we buy another Chrysler product. I'd rather spend my
money on boats. (on topic)

That was a real junky vehicle. Like you said, it's got to be the right
vehicle.

Ford has been doing a much better job than GM on the whole since ~1996
when the G2 Taurus & the 3.8 V-6 combination was laid to rest after
1995. Problems with that platform came back to haunt the WindStar for a
while, but they were ironed out.

A lot of GM troubles are around their commitment to DexCool. Between
poorly designed & built gaskets, that stuff is just bad news...

Despite a crazy number of recalls, the Focus is holding up well. I
would buy a used 3.0 Taurus/Sable or any Crown/Marquis, or 2005-up
Mustang, in a second and expect 300,000 miles if the rust can be avoided.

And Fords & GMs are cheaper to fix, easier to work on.

And I like boats better too, but my newest (power)boat is a 1973,
sailboat is a 1979. They are holding up very well. Both are domestic
makes. I'd never buy a Toyota boat.

Yamaha, maybe! (They own several brands).

Rob