posted to rec.boats.electronics
Lynn Coffelt

Default SSB Antenna Installation

Well! you've reaped some really good information, and some that is,
shall we say, not quite so helpful. It is obvious that a "lay-down" mount is
a good idea, and it looks like the most practical solution would be a
stainless steel "lay-down" or swivel mount at or near the bottom edge of the
aft window, starboard side, with the upper mount just under, or on the cabin
top overhang. Capacity to ground here is not particularly a plus, but it
looks like it could be ignored.
Don't know if marine SSB or Ham radio (or both) is your aim, but
anywhere outside VHF radio range, there is surely no modestly priced
substitute for marine SSB. The 23 foot whip won't make you the "Voice of the
North Atlantic" on 4125, but it should wake up monitoring stations most
times of the day.
Bruce's notes on licensing are worth listening to, particularly if you
wander up into Canadian waters.
Will we all get to share your first catch for our help?
Old Chief Lynn