posted to rec.boats.electronics
Gary Schafer

Default ant coax routing question

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 15:11:35 -0500, "Leanne" wrote:

"Alec" wrote in message
Peter is correct, it should twist as you screw in. But to help smear a bit
of washing up liquid on the coax outer to reduce friction and apply about

2
turns the wrong way before starting to screwin. It worked for me.

Alec

"RB" wrote in message
.. .
Putting a "shortie" marine VHF ant on the boat. This ant is the one with

The coax comes down from the center of the coil. The base of the coil

has
a threaded female fitting same thread/dia as the male counterpart of the
lay down mount. The lay down mount has holes in it to accommodate the

coax
in its journey to the radio.

Question is how the heck do I screw the ant onto the mount without the
coax cord getting twisted to the point of damage? Is the idea that the
coax will roll (twist) enough as I'm screwing the ant onto the base that
it won't damage something?

I know some of you have been there/done this, so tell me the way out of
the problem.

How about removing the mount and screw it onto the antenna and then remount
it. That way there would be no twisting of the coax.

Leanne

Wouldn't that be the same as changing a light bulb by having one guy
stand on the ladder and two other guys rotate the ladder? :)

Regards
Gary