JohnH

Default Affording Fuel

On 30 Jan 2006 12:34:09 -0800, wrote:

jps wrote:

Old days? It was just yesterday for me. AFAIC the group has been
dumbed down, a perfect reflection of our society.

I guess that if the rec.boats NG becomes a place where people go to
discuss boats and boating, rather than engage in political arguments,
that makes it somehow "dumb"?

I would imagine that if you tried to hold boating discussions on either
the "Liberals are trying to destroy our Christian country" group or
"Conservatives are robbing the poor to enhance the rich" group, that
would be dazzlingly brilliant?

Phuk politics. Trying to differentiate between one gang of thieves (Rs)
and another (Ds) is wearisome. Boating is supposed to be about
recreation, and that would include civil social interaction among
people who may not agree on everything politically.

You and I may agree on a lot of political principles, but within the
last several months I have reached an opinion that no political
principles are well served when they are used as a wedge to screw up
and disrupt groups brought together for other purposes. I could be
wrong. Certainly if the majority of the newsgorup wants to continue the
political bitchiness and flame throwing it is more than welcome to- the
only difference is that I won't be participating in those activities. I
suffer no delusion that it's up to me to determine the direction of the
NG, but as you have expressed your opinion that the group without
political strife is "dumbed down," I have expressed my counter
perspective as well.

Have a pleasant day.

Your peanuts are on their way, over!
--