Default Mercruiser i/o will not go into neutral

ok ...I added a helper spring to get the idle to return back down to +-
750rpm...working well so far. I did this on land...my next stp is to
take it in the water and see if that effects the "going in to neutral"

I just don't understand why it works fine on land taking in/out of
gear, but when it gets in the water, even if I am not moving, (tied to
the dock) it doesn't always go from fwd to neutal....almost like
something to do with the electrical components and being grounded out
by the water? (have not gotten a chance to try in reverse yet)

another work week ...can't touch it till Saturday.

Thanks