Tony Thomas

Default Boat trailer brakes

Sorry - meant to say DISK BRAKES. You don't want drum.

--
Tony
my boats at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"Tony Thomas" wrote in message
Please get the drum brakes. As stated before, you don't need much

braking.
The drums are a pain in the but. The drum brakes on my last boat were
nothing but a pain. I used it strictly in fresh water and still had
problems w/ adjusting, heat buildup into the bearings, and grease getting
onto the drums. Ask anyone who has had drums and they will tell you to go
w/ disks.

--
Tony
my boats at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"Don White" wrote in message
In spite of what the local dealers say about not needing brakes on a
boat/trailer combined weight of approx. 1800 lbs.,
I've decided to pony up and get them on a new galvanized trailer for

piece
of mind.
I had decided on surge type stainless steel disc brakes due to a salt
water/air environment.
Then I visit the Champion Trailer site and see they recommend the drum
brakes for lighter loads
see http://www.championtrailers.com/Drum...BrakeArtcl.htm
Seems the drums work better on the lower hydraulic pressure generated by

lighter mass.
I understand you can get galvanized brake parts and an optional fresh

water
washdown kit.
This may be the way to go....I think!