Scott

Default Mercruiser i/o will not go into neutral

Jim you say you are in FL....I am in Orlando.
Anyway,I sprayed the idle adjusting area with wd-40. There is some
corrosion in the area and on this boat, I am not sure how to add a
helper spring...(i will research that). Today when I pulled the boat
onto the trailer from the water, got to the point where I didn't need
motor power to push it up and put it in neutral....and it stayed in
drive??? I was not even moving!

I made sure there was no kinks or resitance on the cable from the
shifter to the carb.
The only way to get it to finally go into neutral is to go back and
forth, in and out of fwd to neutral about three times, I then here the
engine die for a split second and it is in neutral.

RPM is at 1100 when I finally get it into neutral.
It drives me crazy mainly because of the safety factor.
Think I should call in the mechanic?

Thanks again

Scott