John H

Default Boat trailer brakes

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 05:22:02 GMT, "Don White"
wrote:

In spite of what the local dealers say about not needing brakes on a
boat/trailer combined weight of approx. 1800 lbs.,
I've decided to pony up and get them on a new galvanized trailer for piece
of mind.
I had decided on surge type stainless steel disc brakes due to a salt
water/air environment.
Then I visit the Champion Trailer site and see they recommend the drum
brakes for lighter loads
see http://www.championtrailers.com/Drum...BrakeArtcl.htm
Seems the drums work better on the lower hydraulic pressure generated by a
lighter mass.
I understand you can get galvanized brake parts and an optional fresh water
washdown kit.
This may be the way to go....I think!

Not to be nosy, but here is an extract from your site:

"If the rate of deceleration was maintained at original values & the
mass of the trailer is increased, the differential pressure will be
increased & the hydraulic output pressure will again be increased
resulting in an increase in braking response.

Therefore, at a given rate of deceleration, a more heavily loaded
trailer will have a greater differential pressure between itself & the
tow vehicle, than a lighter trailer, & therefore the hydraulic
pressure from the surge brake coupler will be higher for a heavier
trailer than the more lightly loaded trailer."

I don't disagree with the fact that the hydraulic pressure on the
brake cylinders would increase with greater gross trailer weights. My
point would be that with a lighter trailer *less* braking is required
to slow the trailer, and therefore the lower hydraulic pressure would
be inconsequential.

Might be food for thought.

I'm going through much of the same angst you are. My trailer needs new
brakes, and I can't decide what to do (other than not trailer the
boat).

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!