Calif Bill

Default transducers

Does not work on aluminum hulls.
Bill

"noah" wrote in message
On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 14:48:44 GMT, "Bill Kiene"
wrote:

Hi Randy,

I asked around and most are still mounting the transducers outside on the
rear of the transom at water line on aluminum and fiberglass hulls.

I thought through the hull on fiberglass was the big deal, but when I

asked
around resecently with my marine soarces they said it was not as popualar

as
outside?

I think the comment was that the through the hull method reduced the
accuracy of the fishfinder/bottom sounder.

What do others think about this?

Hi Bill,

First, let's sort out the difference between "through the hull", and
"shoot through the hull".

"Though the hull" means that a hole is drilled through the hull. It
may be the most accurate method, but I will never drill a hole through
the bottom of any of my boats. My choice, I guess.

"Shoot through the hull" works on fiberglass, steel, and aluminum
hulls. The transducer is adhered to the inside of the hull, with a
"bubble free" adhesive. It works well, may be a little less accurate
than "through the hull", but not enough to matter. I've used a tape
measure to check mine, and it read 100% accurate at full stop. This
method is "iffy" for wood hulls.

"Transom mount" means you attach a bracket to the wet side of the
transom, and mount the transducer there. The wire is exposed, which
some people don't like, but it is quite accurate if installed
correctly. The most important thing with this method is to get it off
to one side of the engine where bubbles aren't a problem, but not so
far that it lifts out of the water at speed.

For a wood hull, I would recommend a transom mount, primarily because
I am old, and I think it is sacriligious to bore the bottom of a wood
hull. )

Regards,
noah

Courtesy of Lee Yeaton,