Mic

Default Mayday off coast of Mexico-rescued from catamaran

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 20:14:03 GMT, (Mic) wrote:

http://cruisersforum.com/showthread....5&pagenumber=1

Mayday off coast of Mexico

The following information about the need to be rescued from his
catamaran has been retrieved from www.themultihull.com forum and has
also caused a considerable discussion on www.ybw.com forums as well -
principly on drogues/parachutes.

http://www.ssca.org/sscabb/index.php...m=6&topic=2221

I was recently made aware of an interesting and relevant statistic.

The total number of fatalities, per year world wide, as a result of
sailing (in any form) is identical to the total number of fatalities
suffered by people playing golf.

Paul

Paul, where did you get that stat? Smells of urban myth to me. Is it
published anywhere?

http://www.ssca.org/sscabb/index.php...m=6&topic=2221
78% of sailors give up before their boats
60% of boats abandoned are found in fine shape later
50% of wifes get divorced over a boat
13% of wifes making long passeges with husbands "fall overboard"

--------------------------
http://www.radford-yacht.com/stablty1.html
Introduction
This outline on stability is based on "The Safety of Small Commercial
Sailing Vessels" A Code of Practice, which emphasises the point of
vanishing stability as THE MAJOR INDICATOR of a yachts ability to
resist capsize. We are not attempting to address other issues relating
to stability in this section.

Boat stability links
http://www.rya.org.uk/images/uploade...e_10_11_05.pdf

http://www.rya.org.uk/images/uploade...lity_Intro.pdf

Xantrex links
http://www.xantrex.com/support/web/t...cldoc_type.asp
http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/736/docserve.asp
http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/475/docserve.asp
http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/268/docserve.asp

-from Bilge Water Review, Fool Hardy Publications