Sal's Dad

Default Mayday off coast of Mexico-rescued from catamaran

"Wayne.B" wrote
why do people abandon ship ?

Injury, fatigue, hunger, thirst, hypothermia,

Fear.

Yes, fear. In this case, fear for themselves, with no consideration of the
risk to the rescue crew. Did anybody else notice that they asked others to
risk their lives?

By the time of the rescue, the worst was past: "conditions
were fortunately not nearly as bad as they had been when we put out
the Mayday. Ironically we probably were over the worst of the gale."

" In the morning we had discussions with the crew. The helicopter pilot
said she had great difficulty controlling her helicopter as she was
flying at 50 knots to stay in position and going up and down 20ft to
stay with the waves. Independent confirmation that it was still a full
gale, if not F9. Even so, it was far less severe than earlier in the
day. She also said it was her first real sea rescue. She, like the
swimmer, had only done simulations in weather this severe. She also
admitted that her helicopter had not been airworthy the day before as
the rotor blades were being changed. We met the captain who said he
had been steaming his frigate away from the area to keep away from the
bad weather. "

Yes, this was an extreme situation, but all too often we hear of morons
calling for assitance, when there is little real danger, or when reasonable
planning could have averted the situation. Coast Guard (or Navy) personnel
WILL come get you out of it - but every mission, even in the best
conditions, puts them at risk.

Sal's Dad