DSK

Default Marina Question ,,,

Some Maine wharf shouldn't be twice the price.

Roger Long wrote:
No such thing as "some Maine wharf". That Maine disappeared when most
boat were built out of wood. The law was just changed to fix the
problem but it hasn't yet been implemented. Every Maine wharf and
shoreline is currently taxed as if it had condos or a waterfront
mansion on it.

Do you mean that the tax laws have changed so as to reflect
property usage? That is wise and we are trying to get such
laws passed here, otherwise there are no brakes on the
condo-ification of pretty much all desirable real estate in
the country.

Because of our high tides, you can save a bundle on boat storage by
hauling the boat up on your beach in a cradle and storing it yourself.
You'll be paying enough in property taxes to buy a 30 foot boat every
year though.

Ouch! Our taxes are high enough that mom-n-pop businesses,
farms, small friendly marinas, etc etc, have no option but
to sell out to Wal-Mart and the condo developers. And
communities are wondering why things are changing to such an
unfriendly world, but they can't seem to forego the tax dollars.

I run a tight ship, so to speak, and your estimates are only
slightly over

Roger Long wrote:
They should be slightly over. These numbers are what you should be
prepared to spend without being forced to either put up with unsafe
situations are end up sitting on your boat wishing you could actually
use it. Hopefully, you can get by with less but you don't want to
spend that kind of money and then not be able to use your boat. You
need a little cushion.

Very well said. It's very important to have both a set of
priorities, and the bucks in pocket to implement those
priorities. Boats need "stuff" and while you need not pay
the exorbitant cost of some items which triple in price for
the word "marine" printed on the label, it still ain't free.
Even spit'n polish costs something.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King