rhys

Default Marina Question ,,,

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 05:39:17 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:

Even shopping around, a 30 - 35 foot boat is going to cost you $2,000
to $3,000 dollars a year with out fixing anything, replacing anything
that breaks, or making any improvements.

Amazingly, that's about right. But I am in a major club in Toronto.
Some Maine wharf shouldn't be twice the price.

Unless you spend about
$50,000 in that size range, you should plan on spending $3,000 to
$6000 additional the first year, assuming you can do a lot of work
yourself. If you have to have all the work done for you, triple that
figure, at least. After that, you'll easily find a couple of grand of
things to fix and improve each year.

Better go into it with your eyes open.

I run a tight ship, so to speak, and your estimates are only slightly
over (I do two "projects" a year with the goal of making the boat
roughly contemporary instead of being stuck in the '70s in the next
three years or so).

I had some help reassembling my rebuilt Atomic 4, but other than that,
it's all me. But even a stupid replacement Nicro vent was close to 200
bucks. Replacing the fuel and exhaust system was about $550. A PCV kit
is $80. It mounts up, even on a basic boat. A quart of VC17 is $40.

And so on. It's a good thing people give me lightly used sails,
because if I bought a new set every three years like the racing
fellers, I'd be broke.

R.