Calif Bill

Default Time to retire the name.

"Bryan" wrote in message
news

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
ink.net...

"RCE" wrote in message

"Bryan" wrote in message
news
"Eisboch" wrote in message
I've been using the "handle" "Eisboch" since my early days on the
net back in 1989 or '90. I had a super modern 286 computer, 13mhz
clock speed and a huge hard drive with 20 mbytes of storage space. It
ran on DOS with a pre-MSWindows software suite called "GeoWorks".
GeoWorks actually had a windows type format and even included a word
processing program called "GeoWrite". I signed onto an internet
access through Prodigy and was heavily involved in some of the midi
sequencing groups and "chat" rooms. You had to have a screen name, so
I became "Eisboch" because I happened to be drinking a Coors Eisboch
blend that night.

Anyway, it's time to retire the handle. Mrs.E thinks it's stupid, and
I am getting kind of tired of it anyway.

From now on I shall be known as ......

"Sam Adams"

Just kidding.

RCE

Nice to meet you, Mr. RCE.
You started with one of them fancy high-powered 286's of which I could
only dream! I started with the 8086 xt and a 20, yes 20, MB HDD. I
loved my DOS; I didn't understand why people needed all that Mac and
Windows nonsense. DOS: just tell your computer what to do and it did
it! Simple as that. Remember when the excitement of opening a gif
meant starting the process and coming back after dinner to see if the
gif had finished filling in all the pixels? I actually started with an
Apple (was it IIC?), encountered a mac in grad school, and switched to
the DOS world when I couldn't find a mac program that could handle the
graphical representation (believe it or not) of my lab data. Boy that
was a long time ago!

It is. My super fast "Pal" 286 even ran CADD 1, an early cad design
program. CADD was developed through version 6 as a DOS only program then
was bought out by Autodesk (Autocad). CADD was recently re-introduced
in a Windows version and I just downloaded a copy. It's like old times.

The Pal had a normal clock speed of 8 mhz, but had a "turbo" button
that, when pushed, took it to a lightning fast 13 mhz.

RCE

I started out on the Internet with a DEC PDP. Probably an 11/05 but
maybe an 11/34. Still have a great spicy peanut noodle recipe printed on
dot matrix printer. When it was a text only world. Except for ascii
art.

I forgot all about dot matrix printers. I realized the other day that my
kids have no idea about the punch cards!

You want some. I still got a couple of thousand. We use them for note
cards by the phone. No holes in them.