posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

Default What boat for me?... carbon fiber

Maxprop wrote:
I've wondered why carbon fiber hasn't been exploited more as lamina in
production boat hulls and decks, such as class racers, etc. If utilized in
mass quantities, the high cost factor should be mitigated somewhat.

It is being used more & more for spars, especially sprits &
spinnaker poles, also foils. For example Hobie Cats have
been using carbon fiber rudder blades for years.

The cost of the raw material just took a leap upward,
supposedly the military is buying up 110% of production for
the next few years. Fortunately I had already bought some
rolls of woven carbon for my dinghy project, I think I have
enough.

.... And how
about a carbon honeycomb core? Shouldn't present the bonding issues that
aluminum honeycomb did.

There is an expanded carbon core material, but it has to be
carved to shape. Difficult to work with. And it's *real*
expensive.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King