Roger Long

Default Marina Question ,,,

That's more than twice what you can get it done for in the Casco Bay
area of Maine. There are some excellent and very honest boat yards
and marinas but quite a spread in prices.

Even shopping around, a 30 - 35 foot boat is going to cost you $2,000
to $3,000 dollars a year with out fixing anything, replacing anything
that breaks, or making any improvements. Unless you spend about
$50,000 in that size range, you should plan on spending $3,000 to
$6000 additional the first year, assuming you can do a lot of work
yourself. If you have to have all the work done for you, triple that
figure, at least. After that, you'll easily find a couple of grand of
things to fix and improve each year.

Better go into it with your eyes open.

--

Roger Long

"Thomas Wentworth" wrote in message
I am re-entering the world of cruising. It has been a number of
years. My base is New England.

In the last few days I have been brought to the point of absolute
insanity by two of the local marina's near me.

Today, I called a marina to inquire how much it charged to step a
mast. I explained to the woman on the phone that a boat hauling
truck would be bringing my boat [ I don't own the boat yet, I was
seeking the info so that if I make an offer I would know what the
charges would be ] to the marina where it would be launched.

At first she seemed evasive. She didn't seem to want to answer my
question. She kept saying she was looking for her "paper". Finally,
she said it would be $6 per foot of the boat when the boat was
dropped off and another $6 per foot of the boat when the boat was
put in the water. I asked, why are you charging twice. The truck
is bringing the boat, it will go right in the water. She then said
"you are upset by how much it cost". I tried to explain "I can't be
upset since I never knew what the cost was to begin with".

After she started telling me how I feel about issues I never asked
her about, I asked what was the charge to step the mast. She said
around $400 dollars. I almost fell over backwards.

Then, I hung up the phone.

Is this the way of the world in cruising? Have all the marina's
become thieves?