Gary

Default Automatic distress VHF radios

wrote:

I feel that was a rather harsh generalization to make based on
my limited commentary.

I guess I should have said something about all the numerious type
drills (abandon ship... fire... hazmat...terrorist etc..) that were
routinely undertaken and on a continuing basis. Or the daily
inspections made by the Master and deck officers throughout
the vessel during the day and night. Or the two hour saftey classes
(all hands... excluding the bridge watch)held every Friday afternoon
with questions and expected correct answers.

Or the real lifeboat launch with some crew aboard...which can
sometimes be hazardous to one's well being... sprained backs
etc.. Their lifeboat is one that looks like a giant hi top shoe that's
sits way above the poop deck on a launching ramp... and when
the coxswain pulls the releasing hooks... the lifeboat flies off
the end of the stern into the water... reminding you of something
like a Disneyland ride. Because of the possibility of injury in
this type of a drill... it wasn't done any more than what the law
required... I believe every three months.

Or some of our fire drills... when the chief engineer would literally
start a controlled fire (in a safe area of course) so that the fire
fighting detail would have to experience the use of their breathing
apparatus and making their way in a smoke filled invironment with
limited vision and sense of direction.

We hail passing commercial ships where ever we go...

And I am very certain that on our ship... who ever was the duty
officer on the bridge would make sure that his communication
abilities were functional and would be responsive to any *official*
vessel that was hailing.

On the other hand... I sailed with one master (Russian) who
wouldn't bother to talk with one of our sister ships going the
other way... for whatever reason. Now the authorities... he
was always commutative for obvious reasons

On a small foreign flagged container ship with a minimally staffed
multi national crew... was a whole different ball game altogether.
Yet, from what I saw on this ship, the officers and crew were
credentialed and capable and ran an impeccably well maintained
ship.

Best regards

Bill

It would seem that the ship was properly run. The lack of
professionalism of some individuals shouldn't tar the rest. Hopefully
they learn to keep a proper lookout cheaply and don't run over someone
in the meatime.

Gaz