Bryan

Default Time to retire the name.

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 00:32:21 GMT, "Bryan"
wrote:

"Eisboch" wrote in message
I've been using the "handle" "Eisboch" since my early days on the net
back in 1989 or '90. I had a super modern 286 computer, 13mhz clock
speed
and a huge hard drive with 20 mbytes of storage space. It ran on DOS
with
a pre-MSWindows software suite called "GeoWorks". GeoWorks actually had
windows type format and even included a word processing program called
"GeoWrite". I signed onto an internet access through Prodigy and was
heavily involved in some of the midi sequencing groups and "chat" rooms.
You had to have a screen name, so I became "Eisboch" because I happened
to be drinking a Coors Eisboch blend that night.

Anyway, it's time to retire the handle. Mrs.E thinks it's stupid, and I
am getting kind of tired of it anyway.

From now on I shall be known as ......

"Sam Adams"

Just kidding.

RCE

Nice to meet you, Mr. RCE.
You started with one of them fancy high-powered 286's of which I could
only
dream! I started with the 8086 xt and a 20, yes 20, MB HDD. I loved my
DOS; I didn't understand why people needed all that Mac and Windows
nonsense. DOS: just tell your computer what to do and it did it! Simple
as
that. Remember when the excitement of opening a gif meant starting the
process and coming back after dinner to see if the gif had finished
filling
in all the pixels? I actually started with an Apple (was it IIC?),
encountered a mac in grad school, and switched to the DOS world when I
couldn't find a mac program that could handle the graphical representation
(believe it or not) of my lab data. Boy that was a long time ago!

oh crap, here we go.

i built an altair 8080 which, well wasn't the neatest thing on the
block, but it worked - i did some rudimentary switching with the
thing. then i went to work for small time mini-computer company and
had my run of minis until about '79 when i bought an apple ii. then
an apple iie. then a vic 20, commodore 64 and into the pc world from
there building my own until five years ago when it became a silly
quest to roll your own when you could buy for less than you could
build.

What an earful of familiar names. We've come a long way. Or have we?