Default Automatic distress VHF radios

Do those container ships ever carry passengers? Just curious.

Gordon...

Some do. I believe they are all foreign flagged vessels... according
to a friend of mine that is an electronics/radio officer for Matson...
no American flagged commercial ships do this.

I think one of the reasons for this type of occupancy (pax) being
available is that the foreign flagged vessels have been allowed to
cut back on some of the minimum crew compliment requirements
in the past few years.

To the best of my knowledge if they have the accommodations...
they can bring aboard no more then 12 passengers... otherwise
a medical doctor must be present as well. Bruce rendered a different
opinion... and may be more up to speed about this sort of thing than
I am.

Any how... here is some info to get you started...

The best web site that I know of concerning this type of
cruising is at:

http://www.geocities.com/freighterman.geo/

You can spend quite a bit of time viewing the links in
"freighterman's" site.

Judd Spittler has an excellant personal web site depicting
his experiences... which can be seen at:

http://www.juddspittler.com/freighterbum/index.htm

My main squeeze for freighter bookings is with Joycene Deal
at FreighterWorlds in Pasadena, California. For the record
there are several other agencies around that specialize in
this sort of thing besides Joycene's office. FreighterWorld
also has a very informative site at:

http://www.freighterworld.com/index.html

The above references will keep you busy for quite awhile.

Best regards

Bill