posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.building
Wayne.B

Default Detroit Diesel (DD671N) Questions

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 10:00:09 +0100, "Steve Lusardi"
wrote:

This is simple. You have fuel feed leakdown on that engine. On the detroits,
you have a gearpump that draws fuel from the tank and pushes the fuel
through a strainer and then a filter. From the filter it enters the Cylinder
head where it passes through a cast feed log. Unused fuel is turned around
and again passed through the return log in the head. From there it is
returns heated to the tank. Fuel pressure at the out side of the pump should
be about 45 lbs. Your problem is that the feed line to the inlet of the pump
is draining back to the tank. Probably a very small leak in that line.
Steve

Thanks, good description. I think I'll start by replacing the engine
mounted fuel filters and gaskets since there seems to be a consensus
that the problem is somewhere in that area. The fuel tanks are 75%
full right now which puts the fuel level above the engines, so that
should rule out an issue with the Racors if I understand this
correctly.