Roger Long

Default Automatic distress VHF radios

I may know my position. My kids may know how to read it off the GPS.
But, if I should go overboard, we won't know until after it happens if
the lesson will stick in their minds when they are watching their
father disappear astern. I know that everyone in this newsgroup
always spends the first three hours when they take a guest sailing for
the first time on man overboard drills and lessons in how to use the
radio and GPS (right). I don't know whether those lessons will stick
under duress either. It isn't just going overboard. The outcome of a
fall, heart attack, stroke, getting hit by the boom, could be very
different. Even if I'm not disabled, being able to attend almost
instantly to the emergency while the micro chips call for the calvary
could significantly increase the odds.

I'm always amazed at how these threads get into "either / or" and
"which is best" spats. It's like arguing which is more important to
have in your onboard tool box, pliers, or a screwdriver. If I see
another boat and have time, I'll hail on 16 and avoid stirring up the
whole system. If I'm on fire and can't get it out, I'll push the
button and jump into the dinghy. If I'm sinking offshore, I'll have
and use the 406. It's a toolbox and DCS is a great new tool.

--

Roger Long

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 01:03:27 GMT, Gary
wrote:

They won't let the guy two miles off your starboard quarter
know you have a problem. VHF will.

Absolutely, just call mayday on channel 16. You'll get quicker
results in most places, and hopefully you already know your lat/lon.