posted to alt.sailing.asa
Lady Pilot

Default Cell phones at sea

wrote:
Bill aka N6TGC

Is that your tail number, Bill? If so, what kind/type of aircraft

do you fly?

No it isn't... LP.

It's my F.C.C. amateur radio license call sign. I understand
your inquiry though... now that I think about it... a lot of U.S.
aircraft have that N6 prefix as well. :-)

Well, they are prefixed with an N-etc. I had an Aerostar that was N601DP.
Canada uses C-etc, Bahamas uses C6-etc, Ireland uses EI-etc, Great Britian
uses G-etc.

The US numbers started out years ago using N- and 4 numbers and one letter
at the end. Now just about anything goes. I used to use the data base at
the FAA to pick vanity number for friends aircraft.

I had to get an FCC license years ago, but I think they gave me the same
number as the first aircraft I had. I don't remember now. I don't
understand why I ever spent the time to file the green paperwork. No one
ever asked me for it.

In amateur radio... the alpha/numeric prefix is a geographical de-
signator indicating your base of operation. N6 is California... a KH6
would be Hawaii... so on and so forth. Don't know if this is the case
with aircraft though.

Thanks for the info. I've never been "into" amateur radio.

LP