posted to rec.boats.electronics
DJ

Default Need Help Building PC-GPS Cable For Downloading

Tyring to avoid the cost of buying a ready made cord. Any ideas out there
as to the various ways to construct a cable to download from the computer
to the GPS. Understand you need a serial DB9 female plug, a 12 volt power
source (I don't know amperage ) and of course the loose wires from the GPS
.. I have a Garmin 178C and I do know which color wire go where....what I
need is some creativity or hardware ideas as to how to get them all
together and then still be able to take my GPS and its cable and put itr
back on the boat,,,Anybody ever done anything like this before??????or am I
being penny wise and pound foolish for even trying?

I have the Blue Chart software on my computer.....but no data card or card
reasder (another expensive USB cable).....Thanks much...DJ