JIMinFL

Default Mercruiser i/o will not go into neutral

"markvictor" wrote in message
oups.com...

If you took the time to read my post, you would have known that I
understand that perfectly as I stated that the water underway would
unload the clutch, read before you reply...
also note the update from the original poster about the lack of effort
when the shifter DOES return to the neutral detent, and the drive
remains engaged... experience gained from the 5 hundred drives or so
that come through our shop each year tells me that by adjusting the
shift cable end to the factory position at the bottom of the oval slot
will usually solve the symptoms described if the idle is correct...Not
always, of course, but any good tech will adjust to spec before
recommending parts changing...The interrupt actuates due to high clutch
load, or false load caused by a cable, or a bushing or shaft problem,
not just as a matter of course.. the poster stated that he does
occasionally have interrupter activation, but the drive remains in gear
when the control lever is in neutral, so again, I would look at cable
adjustment at the cantilever for correct throw and set idle to spec...

I think you guys will both agree that the high idle needs to be addressed
first. Also, the owner needs to say weather he is having this problem when
he shifts back and forth while tied to the dock. This will determine the
need to have any discussion on weather or not the sliding clutch is unloaded
while shifting underway.
Jim