posted to rec.boats.electronics
Lynn Coffelt

Default wiring neatly

"William Andersen" wrote in message
news:d1yBf.13657$JT.1368@fed1read06...
Has anyone who's done a neat job of wiring behind their control panel got
any tips for success?

I've added a bus bar in a waterproof container behind the passenger side

of
the dashboard of my bow rider but haven't figured out how to keep the

wiring
neat and organized. Here's a list of the equipment on that side of the

boat:
2 VHF with an antenna switch, ADF, AM/FM, GPS with connections to VHF and
transducer, radar with connections to GPS, utility outlet.

Larry's suggestion sure sounds good...... I tried it a little, and IF
it were my boat the flat waxed linen lacing would sure be my choice. EXCEPT
at the point where your design puts the foot or so flexing portion of the
bundle at or near the panel hinge. The flat plastic spiral wrap really works
great there. As the panel hinges out for access to the rear (hopefully
almost never) there is always need for a certain amount of slippage of
individual conductors against each other. The spiral wrap seems to grip the
bundle with just about the right amount of tension to allow slippage to
equalize the stresses among the conductors. I think that an "L" turn in the
bundle at the hinge point makes the most compact arrangement. However if
there is plenty of clearance, a substantial loop (spiral wrapped) may be
even better. The loop can be rather long if no actual hinge is intended, and
the panel can be merely unscrewed and pulled out on the cabin sole. (my aged
knees prefer the actual hinge)
Old Chief Lynn