Eisboch

Default MP3 Players/Accessories for Boat Use?

"RG" wrote in message news:8oJBf.1426$MJ.912@fed1read07...

Thanks. I've tried two of the "broadcast" units to hook my player up in
the car, and I've not been overwhelmed.

It's been my experience that all FM modulators are just truly awful.
Barely a step above are the adapters that plug into the cassette player.
The bottom line is that to be listenable, the audio signal needs to be fed
to the amplifier at line level with no previous conversion, just as your
components are at home. That only leaves two options if your current head
unit does not have a line level auxiliary input. 1). Replace the head
unit with one that does have an aux input (most newer ones do now, because
of the iPod phenomenon. 2). Have your head unit or, as in my case, the
path between the head unit and the power amps altered to allow for a line
level aux input.

All of the RF modulators I've tried were crap with the exception of the
built-in transmitter in a JVC Sirius receiver. Although it had line level
outputs in addition to the RF, I didn't feel like removing the radio in the
car I had at the time to connect the lines. These units have a switch to
select one of about 5 frequencies that it will transmit to the FM radio in
the car. It sounded excellent, except I found that while traveling back and
forth to Florida, local FM stations would occasionally interfere with the
selected freq. Solved that problem by simply removing the car antenna for
the duration of the trip.

Eisboch