posted to alt.sailing.asa
Maxprop

Default Cell phones at sea

wrote in message
oups.com...
Bill aka N6TGC

Is that your tail number, Bill? If so, what kind/type of aircraft

do you fly?

No it isn't... LP.

It's my F.C.C. amateur radio license call sign. I understand
your inquiry though... now that I think about it... a lot of U.S.
aircraft have that N6 prefix as well. :-)

In amateur radio... the alpha/numeric prefix is a geographical de-
signator indicating your base of operation. N6 is California... a KH6
would be Hawaii... so on and so forth.

That used to be the case, but with the vanity call sign program, anyone can
have any prefix anywhere now.

Don't know if this is the case
with aircraft though.

It isn't. US aircraft have 'N numbers', generally an N followed by four
numbers and a letter, or five numbers. Of course the vanity N numbers are
everywhere these days as well. For example, John Doe might have N44JD on
his Pitts Special.

Max