posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default wiring neatly

I agree with Larry,

I'm redoing ( actually it's 95% done) the wiring on my Yankee 30, complete with a new "hinge-down" power panel, and used
the old waxed lacing cord trick. Some parts will have to be re-done in the future (my fault). The key is planning...I
can't tell you how many sketches and rough drawings I made to make sure the "dress" was right. In MHO, it's worth the
effort.
Norm

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 20:04:12 -0500, Larry wrote:

"William Andersen" wrote in

Has anyone who's done a neat job of wiring behind their control panel
got any tips for success?

If you're talking about a total rebuild, I use wire loom lacing, the old
fashioned way with waxed lacing made for it....
http://www.action-electronics.com/braid.htm#Lace
The picture shows it simply wrapped around a bundle of wires, but I don't
do it that way. Run the lacing 1", then take a turn around and loop the
lacing through the point where the turn around begins, then repeat. Some
knot at the turn but that's not necessary and time consuming. A neatly-
laced wire loom is very strong, does not chafe and lasts 50 years. As
there is pull in both directions on the turn, it also does not move.
Unlike tywraps, too, it isn't really tight to hold it in place and crimp
the wires under the tywrap out of shape. Unlace it and you can't tell
where it was laced as the wires are still smooth.

If you're talking about adding more wires to existing wires, tywraps are
the way to go.....