Howard

Default PC Navigation Software

Yeah, that's why I turned if off. It would be embarassing to run into a
cliff while looking down the companion way at a video game. Going into
Ship Harbour I could hear the surf of the 8-foot swell - over the motor.
But I couldn't see the front of the cockpit.

BTW, I also read your reply asking about a cockpit screen reminded me
that one day I could see the fog condensing on my arm hair and the water
was running down the rigging. Just fog. I had to keep three pairs of
glasses just to see the damn compas let alone some computer screen. I
rigged the radar so I was mounted to the middle washboard and that way
kept it out of the worst of the wet but it filled up the companionway.

I don't know about you but I spend 6 to 8 hours a day on a computer
already. At 54 my arms shurnk enough that I can't read a headline at
full arms length. Sucks to be old but beats the only option.

Howard

rhys wrote:

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 22:25:31 -0500, Howard wrote:

All that being said, its a cool toy. It may not be worth a damn on a
boat, alone, in the fog, at night.

Very good observations, and since the introduction of Google Earth and
similar services a few months back, I have puzzled over how I could
use it on the boat G.

I think you have to use every tool available to you in the run-up to a
passagemaking or to the transiting of an unknown-to-you landfall or
harbour. These devices are excellent for planning one's approach, but
even in the "live GPS position" mode, they are practically static
compared to the eyes, ears and yes, nose of the practiced sailor. Two
potential problems exist with electronic navigation:

1) With the new expensive, full-colour plotters, you are a little icon
in a video game. This can be isolating you from the dynamic
environment around you. Seamanship isn't a video game, but video games
can aid seamanship.

2) Electronic charts are out of date a day after you get them. Nothing
beats a live, self-interested and therefore motivated human on the
foredeck (using family band radio to the helm if you want to get all
technological) keeping a watch in fog, signalling with a horn and
LISTENING. I have heard of at least one case when sailboats in fog at
night collided because both were converging on the same navigational
aid...thanks to the marvels of GPS/chartplotting. Keeping a watch may
have avoided this.

I have noticed that I can occasionally guess who is using
chartplotting by the behaviour of their boats near navigational aids
or off landmarks following a depth contour. You are the skipper. The
technology informs, but being indifferent to the outcome, it cannot be
responsible.

R.