posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Wayne.B

Default Detroit Diesel (DD671N) Questions

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 19:50:34 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

Are your 671s turboed or normally aspirated?

Naturally aspirated.

It's funny when you get to
know how the various engines sound. I can identify the sound of those 671s
anytime I hear them start up.

You and all of my neighbors. :-)

It's like having a pair of Greyhound busses idling in your backyard.

A friend has a pair of normally aspirated 671s in a 1972 Hat 38 - actually
a conversion from original gas engines. They have over close to 10,000
hours on them and run like a top. Great engines.

They have a reputation of lasting almost forever and can be totally
rebuilt in place with new cylinder sleeves, bearings, pistons, etc.

It's my understanding that in commercial generator service they
frequently go 20,000 hours between overhauls although 4 or 5,000 hours
is more typical for marine service.