posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

Default What boat for me? (long)

Balsa core is not very strong in compression. Actually,
neither is plywood, but it's stronger than balsa.

Frank Boettcher wrote:
All wood is stronger in compression of the end grain than compression
of the side surface.

That's true.

However, *balsa* is not stronger that way than even cheapo
pine plywood (unless of course there are gaps in the ply).

.... And end grain
balsa is stronger in compression than side grain plywood

I don't think so, but I bet there are figures out there
somewhere.

... plus lighter
which is why it is used.

Plus the bonding properties and lack of wicking.

... Load up your cabin trunk or deck with
plywood and you have a top heavy craft requiring much more ballast to
get the centroid right. No good.

Agreed, but a lot of boats are built that way. And a lot of
people assume 'heavy = strong.'

The repairs I made solved the problem in the areas they were in. I
sold the boat several years later, checked back periodically with the
new owner and they were still providing trouble free service.

Good work, then... you must have done an excellent job
bedding them. I'm never that confident, plus I really hate
deck leaks.

DSK