posted to rec.boats.paddle

Default Trip Report - Assateague Prospecting

Wind and weather are such a big part of paddling Assateague, moreso it
seems to me than paddling backcountry rivers or lakes elsewhere.

The changing depth of that shallow bay in wind driven water, especially
combined with a high or low tide, the near constant wind and lack of
significant wind shadow from a lee shore or treeline all combine to
make paddling Chincoteague Bay an interesting challenge and occasional
study in contrasts.

I took a couple of my brothers-in law there a few years ago, and
forewarned them abouit some of the hazards and challenges. This was
their first trip paddling behind Assateague. It was very early in the
year (March?) and the possibility of winter conditions were a concern.

During the course of a 4 day trip we had a moderate tailwind each day
(2 days blowing south and two days blowing north), sunshine and
temperatures in the 70's. Shorts and tee shirts in March, wading the
shallows in Tevas and reaching for the sunscreen.

My bros in law are convinced that Assateague is as gentle and forgiving
a paddling venue as exists. I expect to disabuse them of that mistake
notion someday soon.