markvictor

Default How vacuum tight are 'Y" valves?

Peggie Hall wrote:
, In YOUR area...but not in all. But even storm drains that do empty
directly into the ocean instead of a sewer line do so through pipes that
terminate at least 3 miles offshore (that wasn't always true, but is in
MOST places now),

....Not likely

which is also the minimum distance from shore to
legally dump a tank at sea. So how is dumping a tank down a storm drain
that terminates 3 miles offshore any worse for the environment than
dumping it at sea barely 3 miles offshore?

Yours is just one more example of a "knee jerk" emotional reaction
without any rational reasoning behind it.

First I will detail my "rational reasoning" for anyone who still
can't grasp it; Knee-jerk to follow..
Ever hear of the L.A. River? It is a primary storm drain for the
Los Angeles basin. Serving,what, 8 or 10 million people? And fed by
the storm runoff of thousands of street corners etc. This is typical
of systems statewide and beyond. Rarely will you see storm drains
discharge to an offshore diffuser. The exception being small treatment
districts with large capacity for runoff...nearly non existant. As soon
as the treatment facilities reach capacity during a storm, from their
fractional share of run-off, they discharge directly to the
canals,etc., to prevent the destruction of the pipelines that are meant
to carry waste only..This flows directly into the harbors, river
mouths, and beach outfalls. One of the reasons for this is quite
simple...Runoff carries with it a staggering volume of solid waste and
debris, from trees to refrigerators, trash to
telivisions...literally..treatment plants can't process it, pipelines
can't pass it, pumps can't move it. The only way to deliver the liquid
portion via lift stations and pipelines, is to remove the solids by
building large acreage catch- basins to collect it in.. A house on a
35' by 65' or 70' lot runs over 700k (median).
Now guess how much land is going to be set aside for occasional use
during storms...just above nil. Treated sewage is easily transported
offshore, storm drain runoff simply takes the paths of least reistance
to the sea.
How do I know this? 5 years diving for the USN Underwater
Construction Teams, three more for the Naval Civil Engineering
Laboratory/Ocean Ops and a couple more on contract projects. We built,
repaired, extended, and inspected sewer outfalls and diffusers all over
the world, among other things. Municipalities deliver treated waste
offshore because they are required to, they let runoff take its course
because they don't have the funds or resources to do otherwise, and for
the most part have no regulations requiring offshore delivery...yet.
So I will say it again, nothing should be sent down a storm drain
besides water, yes, animal waste, trash, oil from the roadways etc.
will still end up in the system but that's no reason for people to
contribute to the muck... If your boat was taking on water, you
wouldn't shrug your shoulders, say it was going to sink anyway, then
turn on a garden hose to help fill it... We're supposed to be smarter
than that... The only knee-jerk reactions I have are from the cramps
caused by dysentery contracted through exposure to contaminated runoff
in the harbor...