capt.bill11 capt.bill11 is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard
I'm 55 with a mid-life crisis. Had some cash, some old experience on
motor boats none sailing, bought a 33' boat, took off for a month. Did
pretty much as is outlined by "cruisenews" below.

Got in some trouble. Got out of it too. Great fun.

Same routine next year. Gives me something to dream about at nights
when I would be otherwise concocting ways to rid myself of various
co-workers and/or clients. Dark nefarious dreams of unspeakable
horror......but I diverge.

The longer you wait the greater the chance that some
unanticipated/undesire event (new landlubber girfriend?) will put a
crimp in the plan.

My vote? Do it.

While planning buy, read, and take along:
1. Singlehanded Sailing: The Experiences and Techniques of the Lone
Voyagers by Richard Henderson

2. Heavy Weather Sailing, by Peter Bruce (orginally by Adlard Coles)

3. Everything by Nigel Calder but especially:

Nigel Calder's Cruising Handbook: A Compendium for Coastal and Offshore
Sailors

and
How to Read a Nautical Chart : A Complete Guide to the Symbols,
Abbreviations, and Data Displayed on Nautical Charts

and
Marine Diesel Engines: Maintenance, Troubleshooting, and Repair

Best of luck,

Howard
I agree with Howard. Do it!

I'd just add there are some sailing schools out there that do real hands on training. There are even some just for women.

I also have a friend selling a boat that may be right up your alley. Tricked out for cruising, recently hauled and a brand new genset.

You can contact me at capt.bill11@(remove this)verizon.net if you'd like more info.

Capt. Bill
Capt. Bill