rhys

Default How to get experience so that I can escape?

On 22 Jan 2006 15:51:30 -0800, "henderob" wrote:

So my question is: how do I get to the point where I can realistically
purchase my own boat and take off? I know about the offshore cruising
schools,etc,.. but would it make more sense to look around for a
(probably unpaid) crewing position? And if so, how should I go about
that? Just hang out on the docks at the right time of year?

Year 1. Join a boat club and crew for a maniac club racer all season
who wants to go in every type of weather. Take Power Squadron classes.
Learn to navigate and learn safety at sea. Keep working and building
the nest egg...even simple cruising for a couple on an old 35 footer
will likely be $20K/year. More cash in the kitty, more years on the
sea. After a few months, volunteer to cruise for a week or two for an
older couple as free crew. Stand watches. Lots of them. Listen, read.

Read Ocean Navigator, Practical Sailor, SAIL and Cruising World...Good
Old Boat if you plan to get a used boat. Which I would generally
recommend. Talk to old salts. Get proficient in seaman's skills,
knots, splices, staying with the boat, reading charts, etc. Diesel
maintenance courses, definitely, unless your boat is very simple and
small. Learn to anchor.

"Window-shop" boats in the winter months. Figure out what you like,
and what would be comfortable. Attend boat show for ideas, but realize
that 90% of the people there will never sail offshore.

Year 2, Race more, but also try to do a delivery with an experienced
skipper. Get the gf to do it, too. If she isn't as nuts about this
dream as you are, the time to figure it out is BEFORE you buy a boat
you can't single-hand. If you can stand the movement, the fatigue and
possibly the terror and puking of going offshore, you'll have actual
sea hours and can contemplate a purchase. Also, seeing large,
expensive state of the art boats in real seaways, and not looking fine
beside docks, will give you an idea of what will actually work at
sea...and what is junk.

At the end of Year 2, decide if you are going to be crew, going to be
a recreational coastal/inshore sailor, or going to be an offshore
cruiser. They are essentially a Venn diagram of overlapping
experiences, but I don't think starting from ground zero you can get
the self-knowledge, never mind any sort of safety wisdom and sailing
proficiency, inside of two years. In the meantime, you can try to
double your stake.

If you can make a million dollars and live on 4% interest a year, you
could cruise forever in reasonable comfort and security. Something to
think about.

R.