posted to rec.boats.electronics
Leanne

Default Raymarine self compatibility

"Lynn Coffelt" wrote in message
Now, who is Raymarine? We sold and serviced Raytheon for many

years,
and JRC for a while. Is Raymarine related to those older names?
Old Chief Lynn (still tooting horn)

It is the heirs of the Raytheon legacy. A lot of their stuff was and
some still is made in England but it is now some sort of transnational
corporation with morphing of brand names and stuff.

You, like me, probably remember when Japanese made stuff was crap. And
then you also probably remember when it finally became the "good stuff".

Through all there there were some American and European brands that were
the benchmarks for quality. All the names that represented the
benchmarks are still around, some have been morphed a little (Raytheon
to Raymarine for example).

Some of the brands like Furuno and JRC (Japanese Radio Company) are now
"outsourcing" manufacture to places like China, Korea, Singapore, and
Taiwan.

You call yourself "Old Chief Lynn". What kind of Chief was that? A
Navy Chief? Or something truly noble like a Native American?

Cheers,

Jack

And then there were some that seem to have lost their way. (in the
marine radar business) Wesmar radar, Benmar, RCA, Epsco/Seascan,

Goldstar,
Seatron, Sperry, Motorola, Kelvin Hughes, Whistler, Selena, Apelco, Oki,
Ridge, Ray Jefferson, Seafarer and??????
One of Old Chief Lynn's careers was U.S. Air Force
Old Chief Lynn

I used to get calls for Si-Tex/Kodens on the local shrimp boats. It took me
a while to get them not to call after I closed my shop down. I think I was
the only one in a hundred miles that would even look at them. I just checked
the file cabinet and found the books on the type 3 and type 7. The type 3
had a date of 1983.
Leanne