posted to rec.boats.electronics
Daniel

Default Raymarine self compatibility

John Proctor wrote:

On the issue of your scanner compatibility:

1. The C User's manual has information regarding serial numbers which
are compatible, non-compatible or need upodates.
2. The C user's manual is available online from the Raymarine web site.
3. What ever happened to caveat emptor?

If you verified compatibility with a Raymarine dealer and he said it was
ok then you have a grievance with that dealer. Otherwise I'm sorry but
the information was available for making a correct decision. You must
therefore accept responsibility for your dilemma.

If we want compatibility for everything that has been manufactured in
the past boy we will not progress too fast. BTW Furuno has the same
probnlem with older scanners not working with their new NavNet dispalays
as well so Raymarine is not alone.

From someone who sells and installs this stuff.

Wow... I did not mean to start such a big flame and fuss...
To Larry: in Italy we used to say that if you got a Fiat assembled on
Monday you were in trouble. When was your last Raymarine radome built?
Mine was built on a Friday: it works well but is not compatible with
something that was built the next Monday :-)

To John: I already wrote that I accept responsibility for my dilemma.
Namely at first sight I misunderstood the odd way of "part numbering"
assumed by Raymarine and when I understood it, it was too late. Still I
think that this "non-compatibility" issue comes out too often and should
be dealt more fairly by the manufacturers... IMHO

Daniel