posted to alt.sailing.asa
Maxprop

Default Cell phones at sea

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...
How about SSB, Bubbles? You could contact someone in Kenya if the
little
guy needs a diaper change.

If our cruising range extends next year, and that's our plan, an SSB is
more cheap safety gear worth buying and fun as well.
Scotty is busy crying over this stuff because he can't afford it.

Our boat came with an ICOM 601 ham radio, which includes the marine SSB
freqs. as well, plus an insulated backstay and an automatic electronic
antenna tuner. Works really well, once I got the counterpoise established.
The radio is also a 50W 2M rig, so I can bring up repeaters on either side
of Lake Michigan and chat with other hams on VHF, too. You should consider
a 601 and get your ham license. Then about the only thing you wouldn't have
is satphone, unless someone gave you one of those for Christmas, too. g

Max