JohnH

Default OT You were right Harry!

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 15:06:57 GMT, Don White wrote:

JohnH wrote:
On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 04:26:10 GMT, Don White wrote:

JimH wrote:

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

JimH wrote:

"Don White" wrote in message

JimH wrote:

"Eisboch" wrote in message

"Skipper" wrote in message

Advantage: DLP

--
Skipper

I think viewing habits must be considered as part of the compromise
you speak of.
For me, I doubt I watch the HD plasma set more than 6 hours a week,
not a day.
I am watching more of the Discovery channel and an occasional sports
event (or non-event in the case of the Patriots).

I spend more time watching and listening to music videos, and that's
only once or twice a week. BTW - for the new guitar hobbyists in the
NG - highly recommend the Eric Clapton "Crossroads" guitar festival
DVD (Reprise records). Two disk set, featuring some of the finest
contemporary guitarists including Clapton to B.B. King, Carlos Santana
and a sober Joe Walsh among many others. For those with good sound
systems, the audio options include 2 channel, Dolby Digital 5.1 and
DTS (recommended).

Eisboch

For me.........some local and cable news, some PBS programs like NOVA,
some shows on A&E, the History Channel or Discovery as well as some old
Seinfeld or Everybody Loves Raymond episodes. Perhaps 12 hours/week.
My wife OTOH is hooked on TV and always has been. And we both watch
DVD's, perhaps one or two per week.

We have 10 TV's in our house, all connected to cable:

Basement: My wife's office, the TV/sitting room, the game room area
(soon to add another at the treadmill).
Main Floor: Family room, kitchen, my office.
2nd Floor: All 4 bedrooms

I think this discussion/thread has talked me out of considering a
plasma HD set. While there is no way we are going to buy new HD for
all these rooms. I may consider replacing the 32" RCA TV we have in the
family room (now 14 years old but still working fine) in the near
future, most likely with a 36" HD CRT set. ;-)

Wouldn't wait too long on that 36" CRT set. According to Consumers, most
manufacturers are dropping the big tube models. You may be restricted
to 32" max in the near future.

OK. Thanks!

I bought my SONY HD at Circuit City. It wasn't on sale. At the point of
sale, I asked the salesman "is that the best you can do on price?" He
knocked $250 off the price.

It doesn't hurt to ask.

Indeed.

But...........I do not intend to purchase a HD set until I have to. I agree
that the digital HD picture is spectacular but I don't want to spend the
bucks right now to upgrade both my TV and cable service....it is not that
important to me and my wife is quite content.

Tried Sears tonight...they don't have the CRT HD model I want.
Went back to the Sony store and kept the salesman dancing.
They had my model on display, but I balked at the extra $400.00 for the
matching stand. Then he tried to convince me we'd be just as happy with
the 26" Bravia LCD model. The wife balked....no way she wanted to go
smaller. Best deal he could give me on the 32" Bravia LCD model was
$2600.00 which included the extended warranty. I got cold feet
then...and we ended back at the CRT model for $ 1200.00.
Figure we can get a stand somewhere cheaper and better (for housing
cable box, DVD player, Home Theater receiver).
He's got my number & will call when units arrive.
In the meantime I have to suffer with a 20" set.

So which model did you get? I got the stand with mine, and I'm glad I did.
It has shelves for the accessories and 'fits' the footprint of the TV so it
will slide back into a corner pretty well. Maybe he'd deal on the stand a
little.
--
John H

******Have a spectacular day!******

Haven't bought a set yet. I may look around to see if Costco, The
Brick, Future Shop or one of the other 'big box' stores in our retail
industrial park have my model.
If not I can always 'order' the set I want by putting 20% down upfront.
The other option is to wait a few weeks when stock should be back up to
pre Christmas levels.

Sorry, I meant which model Sony did you settle on?
--
John H

******Have a spectacular day!******